From the Archives: Police catch the infamous «Kingsgrove Slasher»

Scanlon was charged with having:

  • At Kingsgrove on July 14, 1956, broken and entered the dwelling-house of Lesby Jean Coleman at Colwell Street and having inflicted grievous bodily harm on her.
  • At Undercliffe on November 26, 1956, broken and entered the dwelling-house of Rosalie Meyer at Bayview Avenue, and having inflicted grievous bodily harm on her.
  • At Turella on November 9, 1958, broken and entered the dwelling-house of Marguerite Austin at Walker Street and having inflicted grievous bodily harm on her.

Sergeant A. Boyd, prosecuting, told a packed courtroom that police alleged Scanlon was the «Kingsgrove Slasher».

Maureen Steel, 17, of Moorefields Road, Kingsgrove, whose room the Slasher tried to enter in July, 1956, said she was still terrible shocked. "I woke up and saw him silhouetted at the window against the street light," she said. "The slightest noise at night is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat." December 9, 1958

Maureen Steel, 17, of Moorefields Road, Kingsgrove, whose room the Slasher tried to enter in July, 1956, said she was still terrible shocked. «I woke up and saw him silhouetted at the window against the street light,» she said. «The slightest noise at night is enough to bring me out in a cold sweat.» December 9, 1958Credit:Staff photographer

He said Scanlon had admitted more than 20 offences.

Scanlon was led into the courtroom handcuffed to Detective-Sergeant Brian Doyle. The handcuffs were taken off while he stood in the dock but he was again manacled when escorted out at the end of the five-minute hearing.

He said only four words during the entire proceeding.

He answered «Yes, sir» when asked by Mr Etherton whether he consented to the remand date.

Later he answered «No, sir» when asked if he wanted bail.

Scanlon wore a white shirt open at the collar, a green sweater and a grey sports coat and trousers. His face was covered in a dark stubble.

His manner throughout the hearing was quiet and subdued.

Marlene Storz of Manessa Street, Beverly Hills, said that on July 4, 1956, she awoke and saw a "dark shadow" at the foot of the bed. She called her brother's name and the man "just jumped out of the window."

Marlene Storz of Manessa Street, Beverly Hills, said that on July 4, 1956, she awoke and saw a «dark shadow» at the foot of the bed. She called her brother’s name and the man «just jumped out of the window.»Credit:Staff photographer

Small Public Gallery Packed

The courtroom was packed to see Scanlon appear on the charges. Pressmen and local residents crowded around Kogarah police station from 8am waiting for a chance to see Scanlon.

Schoolchildren and office-workers joined the crowd at lunch time.

When Scanlon was led into court at 2pm about 50 people had gathered in the street and the small public gallery was packed with Pressmen and women.

Sergeant Boyd told Mr Etherton police would oppose bail.

He asked for a remand to May 22.

Investigator points to footprints believed to belong to the Kingsgrove Slasher, February 18, 1959.

Investigator points to footprints believed to belong to the Kingsgrove Slasher, February 18, 1959.

«Could it be noted that we allege that the defendant is the person who has been referred to very publicly as the ‘Kingsgrove Slasher’», he asked Mr Etherton.

«Your Worship appreciates that there has been an enormous amount of police work involved in the investigations and many more inquiries have to be carried out.

«The defendant was arrested at Turella last last evening in dense scrub and had some minutes previously been observed in two houses nearby.

«So far, the defendant has been charged only with three matters but he has made more than 20 admissions of guilt and there will be a large number of other charges, all serious.»

He said the remand was needed to make those inquiries and that even on the remand date there might be another application for a further remand.

Mr Etherton refused Scanlon bail and remanded him to May 22.

On September 7, 1959, David Joseph Scanlon, 29, known as the «Kingsgrove Slasher», pleaded guilty to having committed 18 offences in 10 Sydney suburbs, and was sentenced to 18 years’ gaol. He did not appeal.

Most Viewed in National

Loading

Источник: Theage.com.au

Источник: Corruptioner.life

Share

You may also like...